There are so many advantages to double glazing. Your home is comfortable and healthy with increased security and energy efficiency. But if your windows are of an older style, then you may be letting a health menace into your home that can cause long-term damage.
Black mould can cause real problems if it goes unchecked. So what does it mean and how can you get rid of this silent problem.
A threat to health
Damp and mould can lead to a range of health problems including chronic respiratory illness, allergy and a weak immune system. Old people, children and babies are particularly vulnerable to exposure to black mould in the home. Pets may also suffer the ill effects of black mould in the home, which can eventually cause organ failure in humans, with devastating consequences.
What is black mould?
Mould is a common problem caused by condensation and damp in the home. This mould can then release spores which can be inhaled and enter the lungs. Not all strains of mould are as serious as the black variety – the common green mould belongs to the same family as penicillin but can cause bronchitis and pneumonia.
But it’s the toxic black mould that produces mycotoxins that is so dangerous. To identify it, take a closer look at the colour – it’s usually slimy and greenish-black. It can also be found in areas that are particularly damp, often inside a wall or in the floor or ceiling. Look out for peeling patches of paint as an indicator of dampness. If you suspect you have black mould, it’s important you call in a professional who specialises in mould identification and eradication.
Eradicating excess moisture from the home is the best way to deal with mould. Better …